Summer eating like Spain and beyond.
The ever transcending Paella. Most are delicious, few sublime, and all are breathtaking! Embrace the summer like the Spaniards with an awe inspiring seafood and meat dish, don’t forget the Sangria!
Tinkering is as fundamental of the culture of paella, as the original Valenciana, start with this, and explore from here. This one pan dish is easier than it appears, and has a gorgeous presentation - serve in the pot you created it in.
- 12 Shrimp
- 12 Clams
- 8- 12 Mussels (cleaned & debearded)
- 2 Chicken breast
- 6 oz dry Chorizo - cubed
- 2 cups Spanish Rice
- 1 ½ fl oz Olive Oil
- 1 ¼ tsp Saffron
- 32 fl oz (1 L) Chicken Stock (or Seafood)
- 1 cup mixed peppers - small dice *This is important because they’re visually appealing as well as to the palate
- 1 Cup frozen cooked Peas - thawed
- 1 ½ Cup small diced Fresh Tomato
- 2 Shallots - finely chopped
- 1 tsp crushed Garlic
- 4 piquillo chilies (from jar) -diced
- Parsley - chopped
- 1 tsp of Smoked Paprika
- 1 pinch Chili pepper flakes
- Salt & black pepper as needed - *be careful because the seafood liquor & chorizo will bleed a great deal of salt!
*If you do not have a traditional Paella pan - use a shallow stainless steel pan with a fitting lid! Most important! I use 32.5 in/32 cm
- Peel & devein shrimp.
- Saute the shells in 1 oz of oil until they turn pink.
- Add Saffron & Stock - simmer for 30 minutes. Strain, set aside.
- The Chicken
- Cut into small strips, season well with salt, pepper, & paprika.
- Add 1 fl oz oil to the paella pan and heat to smoke point - Med High. Add Chicken and brown on all sides.
- Remove from pan, set aside.
- Turn stove off while adding veg - pan is hot enough & you don’t want to burn!
- Add remaining oil, then peppers, shallots, salt, pepper. *NOT chili peppers flakes.
- Saute 1 min., then add garlic.
- Stir in chorizo & rice - coating the rice in the oil.
- Turn stove back on to Med- High.
- Saute 3 minutes - stirring.
- Add tomatoes & chicken
- Pour in half the stock - stir. Wait 1 minute, then add rest of stock & chili pepper flakes. Stir.
- Place the clams on top, Cover.
- Reduce heat to Medium. Cook 5 minutes. -or until clams open.
- Add the mussels and shrimp to the pan. Cover cook another 5-7 minutes.
- With a minute to go - add the peas. *** Check first that you are in fact finished…
- If steamy & liquid still present - Stir rice to absorb. Then arrange for presentation.
- Add more stock during cooking if necessary so the rice doesn’t dry out.
- The consistency is firm in shape though soft in texture like a pilaf. -Not a risotto.
You've done it!
Final Touches: Arrange the shells in upright open position, since you’re serving in this same dish.
Garnish with piquillo chiles & parsley. Serve Immediately.
Take pictures and boast to everyone that wasn't there for your greatness!
(Including me! I want to see!)
#SummerTomatoes #Paella #SpanishCuisine #Seafood #Shellfish #SummerEating #HauteCuisine #1Pan #SummerRomance #RomanticFoods #SexySummerEats #WinePairing #MeatAndSeafood #AphrodisiacFood #DIYGourmet #ChefCaylenaCourses #ChefCaylena #PaellaValenciana #SummerEntertaining #EntertainingHosting #SeafoodDinner #SeafoodLover