Reviving the Carrot Cake
w/ Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting.
Cake season is here! Here’s a go-to elegant cake perfect enough to celebrate - Everything. Light enough to enjoy all summer long.
This classic is revitalized with fresh Ginger and Carrot juices - this puts it a head above all the others you’ve tasted. Spiced just right, though feel free to make additions such as raisins or nuts.
Preheat Oven 350*F
Makes: 1 large cake, 3 dozen mini -or- 1 dozen over sized cupcakes
Ingredients: Grouped by sequence.
1 cup Buttermilk - room temperature.
1 1/2 bag baby carrots (1 1/2 lbs) -Juiced
9 oz fresh ginger shredded fine
DRY: Mix together
2 1/2 C AP flour
2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg & more for garnish
3 tsp Ground Ginger if not using fresh
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
4 room temp eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup tightly packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp Vanilla extract (bourbon vanilla if have)
3/4 Cup Veg oil
2 packages Cream Cheese - room temperature
1 box Powdered Sugar
1 Tbsp Vanilla extract
1 1/2 sticks Unsalted Butter -room temperature
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- Juice Carrots. Set ½ cup juice aside. (Shred if don’t have juicer.) discard rest.
- Mix carrot remains, shredded ginger, and buttermilk together. Set aside.
- Mix Dry ingredients together - set aside.
- In Mixer over high, mix Wet Ingredients.
- Pour in ½ Dry ingredients - Mix
- Pour in Vegetable Oil
- Pour in ½ remaining Dry ingredients
- Pour in Carrot Juice
- Pour remaining dry ingredients.
- This might look wetter than used to because of juice - this will keep your cake moist and fluffy.
- Pour in carrot mix.
- Coat pan with Oil. Pour in cake mix.
- If using Cake sheet - pour mixture in.
- Cupcakes: line with paper holders.
- To make pouring easier for cupcakes, pour into a Ziplock bag, cut a hole in corner and pour as though as if pastry bag.
- Bake large cupcakes: 15 minutes, rotate pan, bake another 15 min.
- Small cupcakes: 8 minutes, rotate, another 7-8 minutes
- Large cake: 35-45 minutes total.
Check doneness by using a toothpick - poke in center - when it comes out clean - you’re finished.
Let rest & cool at least 20 minutes. - *note if hot - will melt frosting.
Frosting: Mix all ingredients together until nice and fluffy.
Don’t over mix or it will turn grainy.
- Once ready use knife to spread on cakes, or put in a plastic zip lock and cut corner - using like a pastry bag.
- Make sure frosting is Very cold - putting in and out of fridge if need be or it will make a goopy mess.
Sprinkle with Nutmeg
Refrigerate until ready to eat! ENJOY!
#ChefCaylena #CarrotCake #SummerCooking #Baking #KidEats #KidsCook #CreamCheeseFrosting